Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fremont Bank No Closing Cost Mortgage

Fremont Bank is a bank out of the Bay Area, as in San Francisco Bay area, and actually, from Fremont, and hence the name, Fremont Bank. They have 23 locations throughout the Bay Area. Because this site is mostly about mortgages, and specifically, no closing cost mortgages, and no closing cost mortgage refinance, that is what I’ll be concentrating on.

Because Fremont Bank is a relatively small banking institution limited to a small geographical area within the United State, they only lend in California, Nevada, and Oregon, it may not be useful to you unless you live in one of those states or are planning on moving to that area. Note, in Oregon, they only lend in Deschutes county, so it’s not even available to the whole state.

Currently, as of August 26, 2009, Fremont’s website states that their no closing cost mortgage rates are 5.25% for the 30 year fixed rate mortgage and 4.625% for the 15 year fixed rate mortgage. The APR is also set at the same rates which is indicative that there are no closing costs on these loans.

We know this because the APR has to show what your effective interest rate would be if all the costs to acquire the loan was included in the interest expense that you incur by taking the loan out. For example, and I’m going to use nice round numbers, let’s say you take out a loan for $100,000, and you only take it out for five years. Assuming you make all your payments on time, your total interest expense would be $13,227.40 which would equal 5% interest on your loan.

If the mortgage cost you $2,000 in closing costs, we would add the $13,227.40 with the $2,000 coming up with a total of $15,227.40 in total cost for your $100,000 loan. Your effective APR, or Annual Percentage Rate would be 5.819%. So you can see how your closing costs can affect your APR. The reason why it is so high is because your payment timeframe is short, in this example only five years. Now if we took the same numbers above and extended your mortgage payback timeframe to 30 years, your new APR would be 5.175% because that $2,000 would be amortized over the 30 years instead of the five years.

Back to Fremont Bank, the terms for this no closing cost mortgage is as follows:

- You may be required to pay an application fee. Now this is not too bad because Fremont Bank will refund or credit the application fee if/when you close your mortgage. I’ve only seen one reference, and the amount was only $300.00.

- This offer is only available for existing loans with no cash out and no subordination of non-Fremont Bank liens, like HELOC’s or HEL’s.

- What this means is you have to have an existing mortgage and you cannot pull any money out of home equity with this loan. You also cannot have a HELOC or a HEL from any other lender. If you have an existing HELOC or a HEL from Fremont Bank, they may allow that, but that would be a question for them to answer.

- The rate above is quoted for a $150,000 mortgage loan. I don’t know if it will get lower or higher if the loan amount is different or not.

- The LTV, loan to value, limits are as follows:

- 30 year is 60%

- 15 year is 80%

- This rate is also only available for owner occupied, single family homes in California with a 30 day rate lock. Again, if you are in Nevada or Oregon, the rates could be different, but I don’t know.

- The minimum loan amount is $125,000 and the maximum is $417,000.

With their list of requirements, I went to their rates page and ran some scenarios for all three states and it appears that even for $125,000 in all three states, the no closing cost option is still only 5.25% so everyone should be in luck.

There does not appear to be any escrow requirement from Fremont Bank if you refinance through them with the appropriate requirements. All this means is that you pay your own taxes and insurance instead of paying it to Fremont Bank and then they make the payment on your behalf. What you could do then is save the money in a high yield savings account and earn interest instead of the bank earning the interest.

They also appear to offer ARMS which also have a no closing cost option available to them. ARMS are only a good idea if you intend on living in the house less than the term of your fixed rate. Even then, if the timeframe gets to far out, let’s say five to seven years out, it would probably be best to take out a fixed rate loan because of the peace of mind it will afford you in case your situation changes. Also, with rates as low as they are currently, it would be crazy to look for an ARM. While I don’t claim to be Nostradamus or a psychic, interest rates are pretty freaking low right now. Why chance the potential that interest rates will go up?

The no closing cost option also applies to interest only, IO, loans. Now these are frankly just suicide unless you are GUARANTEED a huge rise in your income. Then again, if you are stretching yourself to afford a house on a IO loan, personally, I don’t believe you can afford the loan. No offense, but if you cannot afford a 30 year fixed mortgage loan, you can’t afford the house/loan amount. Find a smaller/cheaper house.

Fremont Bank also participates in Community Lending, these are those first time home buyer programs usually offered through your state or local government with down payment assistance or artificially lowered interest rates subsidized by taxes or HUD. They also claim that they have no closing cost options available on the Community Lending section of their mortgages. For these loans, however, there are additional requirements you have to meet so that they are helping lower income/disadvantaged individuals. For more details, you should contact the Fremont Bank mortgage department.

In the end, I have never heard anything negative about Fremont Bank, which doesn’t mean there does not exist any disgruntled customers as you cannot always please everyone. But the experiences I have read up on are positive and that Fremont Bank was a good deal in regards to getting no closing cost mortgages through them.

8 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of getting (I hope) a loan through Fremont Bank. Thus, I'm not in a position to say much about my overall experience in dealing with the bank, but from what I do know, let me correct a few inaccuracies in your posting (in the spirit of providing the most useful information possible).

    You write: "Back to Fremont Bank, the terms for this no closing cost mortgage is as follows:

    "- You may be required to pay an application fee. Now this is not too bad because Fremont Bank will refund or credit the application fee if/when you close your mortgage. I’ve only seen one reference, and the amount was only $300.00."

    You are correct, you are required to pay an application fee (of $395, not $300), plus a "rate lock fee" (of $400). Both are supposed to be fully refundable IF the loan closes. The application fee is not refundable under any other conditions, but the rate lock fee will be returned if your loan application is denied by the lender.

    "- This offer is only available for existing loans with no cash out and no subordination of non-Fremont Bank liens, like HELOC’s or HEL’s."

    This is partly correct. I currently have a HELOC and, in my loan application, asked for a cash out option. I was able to get the bank's best rate (4.375% on a 10-year fixed) with the cash out option. Fremont will allow you to retain a HELOC or HEL, but only at a higher rate (I decided to close my HELOC to qualify for the best rate).

    As I said, I'm at the beginning of the process, and I'm still crossing my fingers that Fremont's offer is on the up-and-up. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timothy,

    I gathered this information from Fremont Bank's website. Maybe they haven't updated the information.

    I appreciate you updating us.

    Keep us updated as your mortgage progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE: I just closed on my loan with Fremont Bank. True to their word, this was a no-closing cost loan and the approval process was generally pretty easy. From start to signing the loan documents was about three weeks. Fremont's documentation requirements weren't onerous, but you do have verify income and employment. The bank also did a real appraisal (which was actually valued my home at a higher level than I anticipated). Overall, it was a good experience and I would recommend Fremont Bank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have my paperwork there so posting as anonymous. It simply horrible.

    I strongly suggest you look elsewhere.

    4+ Weeks and still counting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a recent experience with Fremont Bank. I was enticed to refinance my house with low interest rate, no fees and no closing costs. To secure the deal, I was asked to pay $495 application fees upfront as a commitment fee, which would be credited back to me at the time of close or be refunded if the bank denies my application regardless of the reason. So I happily paid the $495 upfront as I was really serious about the loan. About one and half month later, they told me that the application was denied by the lender. I inquired about refunding my fees and was referred to numerous FB personnel. After 3 months, I still have not received any positive yes or no to my request. It seems no one at the bank care about my request as they already have my money in their pocket. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can share their experience and let me know what action I should take next to ensure they pay enough attention to my request and provide me with the refund.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,

    That's a bummer. One of two things, the slowdown is due to the rates dropping, they may be backed up due to a rush of applications to refinance.

    Either that, or their service really is lacking. Other than hearing from others experience, we'll just have to wait and see what the cause is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In July of 2009, I was able to get a no-cost/refi using what Fremont Bank calls a "REFI PLUS" loan, meaning they would apply a provision from the government's Making Home Affordable program whereas PMI would not be impossed on me (did not have at that time) even though I had less than 20% (was @ 17%) equity. Six months later, rates had dropped and I applied again for an exact repeat loan. After paying the $395, I was then told I could only take advantage of this program once every 12 months and I had to walk away and taking on PMI would be stupid I felt.
    So....Fast forwqard to today (August 2010) a full 13 months after my 2009 refi. I walked into a branch office this time to refi.
    The Loan guy is now they're telling me that the MHA provision is a ONE-TIME deal and I cannot repeat. Is this a Fremont Bank or a FannieMae/Gov't rule???
    Can anyone direct me where the gov't rules live so I can verify this for myself? It just seems weird that the gov. rules are becoming stricter given the country's housing issues.

    Thanks in advance!
    Anonymous in Benicia, CA

    ReplyDelete