Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Wells Fargo No Closing Cost Mortgage Refinance

I know it's been a while since I last posted, but I just wanted to say that my mortgage with Wells Fargo and their no closing cost mortgage went uneventfully. I do have some comments to share about them that I thought was frustrating.

I applied sometime at the end of March I believe. The process was relatively painless except for the fact that I felt like there was NO outreach from WF and my refi. I had to keep calling Wells Fargo's call center to find out what they needed, what I needed to do, anything to keep my process rolling. I did not even speak to my loan processor one time. This is definately NOT for the consume who needs their hands held to complete the refinance process.

In the end however, I randomly received a package from WF with my closing documents in it. There was two packets in the package that I received. Both of them were the same thing, but one had a note that the package was for my records, and the other packet was the one to be signed and then sent back to Wells Fargo for them to process. Although I was expecting a package, it was definately not like, it's supposed to be here on such and such date, it just appeared via UPS, not to be confused with USPS.

I had to take the package that needed to be signed to a notary, then sent back in the prepaid return package and then dropped off for UPS to send back to Wells Fargo. I didn't want to pay any notary fees, because I'm a frugal individual, and ended up calling one of the Wells Fargo branches here in town. At first, I would need an account to get the notary service for free. Fine, I'll slap $25 in an account to ge the service for free. Then I found out that if the documents are Wells Fargo documents, they would do it for free! Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I drove my happy butt to the branch and signed and was out the door in about 20 minutes.

I placed the package in the envelope and dropped it off at an UPS drop site and was done. I again, didn't know how long the payoff would take, but I checked yesterday and the payoff has apparently cleared my old mortgage lender because the balance is $0.

I now am waiting for refunds from my old lender for my escrow balance and any overpayment that may have occurred to account for interest expenses that were missed. I am also awaiting for an account statement so that I can setup online access via Wells Fargo's website and then I'll be happy.

In the end though, I was expecting a little more hand holding than occurred only because mortgages are large transactions and every where else you get a mortgage, the people your working with want to get the transaction completed. If I was told I would be on my own more so, my expectations could have been set so that I wasn't caught off guard.

Now this transaction was good for me because my payment dropped almost $150 per month. Now that is a bit of a myth, but let me explain. I was paying $75.xx a month for PMI with my old lender, so there's half the savings. The other half came from a slightly lower interest rate, 5.875% down to 5.5%, and the reamortization of my mortgage back out to 30 years.

See, once you get into years 3-5, more and more of your mortgage payment starts getting applied to principal instead of the interest. Approximately $150 per month was getting applied to my mortgage principal. With the new mortgage though, I'll probably be somewhere in the high $100's again. Oh well, that's just the way things roll.

I only did it because I wanted to increase my cashflow. If I want in the future, I can always pay more money to principal and get the loan paid off quicker. Right now though, it's all about the cash flow! With the economy the way it is, a smaller mortgage is easier than a large payment. The other benefit now is my taxes and insurance is no longer escrowed. I can now put that month amount into my OWN savings account and collect the interest for myself.

In the end, I got what I wanted which was a no closing cost mortgage with a lower interest rate and a lower payment amount by about $150.00. If your looking for cashflow, I would highly suggest you look at Wells Fargo's no closing cost mortgage because it is pretty painless after all and requires NO money for your closing cost. Your loan balance doesn't even get increased. You do however have a higher interest rate to pay for that benefit, but if you don't know how long you'll be in your house, in a falling interest rate environment, and a house you will not own for a long time, a no closing cost mortgage is the best way to go. If however, rates are pretty stable or they are going up, and you will be staying in your house for a while, then pay points and closing costs will be the way to go.

In the end, my Wells Fargo no closing cost mortgage went well and I do encourage others to go with the program if it fits your needs and you do it for the right reasons that I mentioned above.

2 comments:

  1. 410K balance dropped from 6 to 4.875 30-yr fxd. 4 weeks, ZERO cost. AND 1-month delay on payment start. Saved 325/mo and a full month payment. You need to be well-qualified and deliver all docs carefully. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wells Fargo still offers 3-step, no closing cost refinance.
    Best wishes,

    Tim Tysyachuk, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, 877-877-0866

    ReplyDelete